Campbeltown Heritage Centre
Campbeltown Heritage Centre – The Way we Were!
The Heritage Centre, located in the old Lorne Street Church, built in 1868 as a result of the Disruption in the Church of Scotland. The architect was James Boucher of Glasgow, perhaps inspired by a church recently built in Manchester by the leading Gothic architect of the day, E.W. Pugin.
The collection focuses on the influences of what made Campbeltown the place it is today, coal mining, ship building, whisky and farming as well as some of the stories on our past like St Kieran and the tug boats. It is considered to be one of the best collections on the West coast.
We also have a small cafe specialising in genuine home baking!