Carnasserie Castle

Contact details

This magnificent ruined castle is the former home of the first Protestant Bishop of the Isles. It was built by reforming churchman John Carswell, who was Rector of Kilmartin, Chancellor of the Chapel Royal at Stirling, and later titular Bishop of the Isles. Construction began in 1565 using masons brought from Stirling. Positioned on a hill overlooking the Kilmartin Glen, it comprises a five-storey tower house with an impressive hall.