Kilchattan Chapel - Gigha

Contact details

Located just uphill from the visitor entrance to Achamore Gardens and the village hall you will find the remains of the former parish church of Gigha and Cara which was dedicated to St Cathan (an Irish missionary of the 6th Century). This church ruin probably dates from the 13th Century, and is decorated with a fine lancet window in the east gable, and a smaller single light window in the north wall.

 

The church appears to have been in use at the time of Martin Martin's visit in 1695, but some time during the early 18th Century it was replaced by a new church sited opposite the current hotel. (A small section of wall of this church can be seen in the hotel car park). The tall, deeply splayed, East lancet window has an incised Latin cross on the left hand side. The existing semicircular head replaces an original pointed arch stone.

 

For more information visit the Isle of Gigha website