Ascog Castle

Ascog Castle

The ruined Ascog Castle, on the shores of Ascog Loch near Millhouse, dates back to the 15th century and was the ancestral home of the McInnes Lamonts.

The Lamonts of Ascog are on record in 1477, but there is an indication that the square keep of the castle is of an earlier date. The castle was destroyed by the Campbells of Ormsary during the 1646 massacre, where over 100 clansmen were taken to Dunoon and either hanged or buried alive.

There’s not much left of the castle today, but it’s a beautiful place and a lovely walk around the loch.

Contact details