Kilchurn Castle - One of Scotland's most photographed castles
Look out over Loch Awe from the powerbase of the Campbells of Glenorchy and one of the most photographed castles in Scotland.
Kilchurn was one of many castles erected by the powerful Campbell clan, who exercised control of much of western Scotland in the late medieval period. Stand on the tower house’s battlements and gaze out over Loch Awe, the original powerbase of Clan Campbell. Kilchurn Castle was built in the mid-1400s, and since then has been a fortress, comfortable residence and later a garrison stronghold. It contains the oldest surviving barracks on the British mainland. It remained the residence of the mighty Campbells of Glenorchy for 150 years and after the first Jacobite Rising of 1689, Kilchurn was built into a garrison stronghold.
** Currently closed for renovation purposes **
Viewing the castle from Loch Awe is still possible.
At the north east end of Loch Awe, 2.5m west of Dalmally off the A85.
Please note there is no vehicular access or parking and the Castle is not signposted.
Grid reference - NN 133 276.
The castle is accessed from the Dalmally roadside (A85) under the nearby railway viaduct. Access is over agricultural land via the loch-side, which floods periodically, so caution is advised.