Aros Castle used to be one of the most important sites on the Isle of Mull. Now, only a ruined hall house near Salen remains. It remains possible to walk around the ruins of Aron Castle and imagining the once mighty fort.
The castle was built by the MacDougalls in the 13th century and later passed on to the MacDonald Lords of the Isles. It was acquired by the MacLeans of Duart in 1493. Aros Castle was strategically located and protected by a steep drop to the beach. However, by the 18th century it had lost its importance in favour of Tobermory with its thriving harbour.